FAQ Search Register Login

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Welcome to FantasyFic - please read!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:52 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Firstly, I want you to know that everyone who is interested in writing fantasy or reading it is welcome at FantasyFic.

This site exists for one primary purpose: to give writers at varying stages in their career an opportunity to post their writings and solicit comments and critiques from fellow members. * (See note below.)

However, there are a few guidelines that go along with this:

(1) Be aware that, if you ask for comments, you need to be prepared to read others' work and give comments as well. Do not feel you are not qualified...if you enjoy reading fantasy, you are qualified.

(2) Do not expect everyone to read your writing. People have different tastes and, taking me as an example, if something is extremely violent or gory, although I am willing to help a writer, I won't read anything that offends my sensibilities. However, others may enjoy that sort of thing. I may start out reading it, but if I find I can't continue, I will stop and explain why. It's not that I don't want to help you; it's that in some cases I am more sensitive than others. Others may have this problem as well.

(3) If you receive comments on your writing, there is a chance you may be offended. Please do not take it personally. We are truly only here to help you--the only kind of critiquing we do here is constructive. In fact, negative attacks will not be tolerated. However, people's opinions and tastes vary widely, and few of us are expert critiquers. You have the right to disagree and/or ignore the advice; just don't feel "picked on."

(4) If you don't understand the advice, or think that it is a personal attack, use email, private messaging, or even one of the many private forums to request clarification of the comments made. Please do NOT take it to the public forums on this site (which are marked public) or any other public places, to air our dirty laundry. We are a family here - please don't take your difference of opinion to a strange place - let's try to resolve it here. The main goal is to have fun and work together to improve our writing and, most importantly, have it read.

Raya is the primary administrator of this site. Kallysti and Wertaf are also admins of the site. If you have any questions pertaining to the operation of the site, please PM or email one of us.

* Please note that you must be a Star Member to qualify for this benefit.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:31 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

There is one more thing I would like to add. Some people are wanting more help than most of us here have time to give. We have given comments and critiques but the writer in question seems to want and has asked for more. I am sorry that we do not have more time, but we are not teachers, just writers sharing our experiences and what we have learned along the way. If you need more help than we can give, I earnestly suggest that you take some writing courses, either at your local college or perhaps online.

One of the online courses that helped me a great deal when I first started out was The Institute of Children's Literature in Pennsylvania. Their correspondence course was excellent and the instructors were topnotch. The idea behind this is that if you can write for children, you can write for anyone; I found this to be abundantly true. I sold my first short story because of this course many years ago and went on to take their graduate course in novel writing, which was very helpful. However, their fiction short story course was the most help to me. Go here to check it out.

Fiction writing consists of certain basic steps, techniques and rules. Yes, you can break them, but usually only successfully after you have learned how to USE the rules. Of course, you can write however you want, but that will not necessarily guarantee a reading audience, which is what most writers crave. If you learn these basics, either through organized study or through learning from the writing you have read and figuring out what makes these stories work, then you are on your way to being a widely read author. If you don't, you may face a lot of frustration in your chosen path of writing.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine