FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Double-Tongued Dictionary
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:33 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

I've been enjoying Kally's Word of the Day a lot, with its look at traditional words, tried and true, beloved and scorned. They're great. I've also had discussions with various people about the introduction into the English language of new words and phrases, how slang becomes colloquialism, which in turn becomes bona fide language.

This Double-Tongued Dictionary, provided via Yahoo, offers just that: words and phrases coined by various writers, journalists, world figures, politicians, people at large. They are fun, different, thought-provoking, sometimes inciteful, often insightful words. I'll start us off with:

hair crush
Filed under: English, Apparel, Appearance, & Fashion, Body
Part of speech: n.
Quotation: OK guys I am not going to lie here, I do this thing that I like to call my “hair crush.” My hair crushes are people with fab hair that I personally would kill to have.
Article or document title: “ Kelli Zink. From hair crush to hair love in a matter products.”
Author: Eliza Siep
Article, document, publication, web site: Chicago Now: Pretty Cheap
Date of publication: Feb. 2, 2010

I can think of quite a few hair crushes I have - Shania Twain for one, Meg Ryan for another. I could probably think of a dozen more.

Not sure how I would work this into a story, but it's fun knowing it exists :P

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject: Re: Double-Tongued Dictionary
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:15 am 
The Scribe of Athero

Maybe today's entry will be more appealing to us writers.

startle factor

startle factor n.—Practical research shows that experienced pilots, with training provided by their airlines in upset recoveries, still struggle to perform when attempting to recover. There are many human factors involved in an actual upset, including the “startle factor” and the sometimes overwhelming psychological aspects of an upset attitude. With appropriate instruction, pilots can learn how to recognize and recover from an upset.—“Enhance Upset Training”by Bryan BurksAviation WeekFeb. 8, 2010. Categories: English, Biology

Example: Captain Sullenberger recovered quickly from the startle factor when birds were swept into the jet engines of his airplane and he was forced to land it on the Hudson River.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 am 
Goddess

Well, they do seem like new terms for common enough modern-world phenomena & would work nicely for say, journalism style writing. I don't think I'd ever use 'em in stories but you know, fiction ain't the only writing there is ;) (and if I had any "hair crush" I think it'd be Halle Berry. Nothing flashy, very understated & pretty all the time :D)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:10 am 
The Scribe of Athero

I just finished reading Michael Crichton's State of Fear (which is a coined modern-day term for the age-old tactic of keeping people in perpetual fear so they are easily manipulated). It is a fascinating adventure story, liberally laced with how fear is whipped up by three levels of people: politicians, to control the people; lawyers, to drum up business; and the media, to generate an abundant supply of fearful material to attract readers. It's called the PLM effect.

Anyhow, although this story is not really fantasy, there are some fantasy-like segments that are real enough that they could be true. Coined terms (and buzzwords) are used for verisimilitude to make them seem real. I was thinking how, with a little judicious juggling, some of these double-tongued phrases could be manipulated into a different language, not the tongue itself but the quaint phrasing that each language has.

For instance, "hair crush" could be changed in a fantasy story (in a humorous segment, of course) to "sword crush" or "flying carpet crush" or...the possibilities are boggling.

"Startle factor" actually wouldn't have to be changed, but it could refer to the training that magic makers might get in order to keep calm when spells go terribly wrong :P It just occurred to me that Xerius's young lad who has been receiving combat training and then passing it on might have received training in the startle factor. Again, the possibilities are endless.

The terms are familiar enough that people would relate to them, but foreign-sounding enough that they might be the "English translation" of a slang phrase in another language. It's just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 am 
Goddess

Yeah, that's true. I guess it's just not been my style lately (though styles change ;))