PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 pm 
Goddess

Do you like this alot?

:D

Post subject: Re: I Like This Alot
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:38 am 
Knight Commander

Kally, I love you.....ALOT :P

Seriously though, that person just looked into my brain and recorded my thoughts. I have to almost sit on my hands to not correct people in EQ2 or other places.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:42 am 
Goddess

You (ok, we, 'cause I'm that way, too) are not alone! I unconsciously grind my teeth every time I see someone use "u" instead of "you." Among other things, lol.

Isn't that cute, though?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:05 am 
The Scribe of Athero

Loved it - and now I want a pet Alot to sit on my desk and calm me when people make all the grammatical errors that they do. It's hell being an editor and seeing them and not being able to correct them...either physically or because it's just not a good idea :P

This will help alot. I can make up other animals now too...like the sneaky little You'reyour with only one ear; and the hoppity It'sits that jumps around whenever you tweak it's little tail; and the happy big Theirthey'rethere who goes around patting people on the head. It will work EVERYWHERE!

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:15 am 
Goddess

Its little tail? *duck* And don't forget alot's sister the "alright." ;) The alot picture also reminded me of this poem. Heh.

Although the bits about imagining people with only two fingers or being an eagle (that part cracked me up, too) does put me in mind of a guildmate of Fridai's back in EQ2. I used to tease Xerberus because he always preferred the voice chat or because he'd leave out apostrophes & capital letters when typing, etc.

Well, I found out later (from an unrelated discussion with another guildy) that X was in the advanced stages of multiple sclerosis & only had the use of one hand. He didn't go around telling people because he was one of those people who didn't want pity or to be treated any differently than anyone else. I think I cried. I know I didn't tease him anymore.

I know that 99% of the people out there aren't X but every now & then there is a good reason. I'm getting better about dealing with some kinds of sloppiness in informal places (though I don't think I ever could be that way, myself). The uneducated & the learning disabled (and sadly, the lazy) have a right to a keyboard, too. I guess what I'm saying is: it all hurts my brain but I try to be understanding. Though when people carry that over & do it in their writing, if they're trying to be professional about it (and I'm not allowed to help fix it), I do twitch...alot :P

You know what else bugs me? People who use too many parentheses (oh, crap)...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:02 pm 
Regent

I can tolerate 'alot' or 'alright' better than I can the mindless changing of words into letters and numbers.

Perhaps visualizing eagles and two fingered people will be of use, although it may take some time to replace my present mental image of people possessing only two brain cells, each cell refusing to talk to the other.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:52 pm 
Regent

This is just brilliant. I love it alot :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:00 pm 
Duke - Duchess

I like this Alot, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:22 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Now, Kally, you KNOW I typed "it's tail" with tongue in cheek. I could no more do that deliberately than I could fly to the moon.

Funnily enough, I have a lot of patience and tolerance for people typing in chat. Perhaps, over the years I have become numbed to it, but it doesn't really bother me. Or maybe it's because I know they are trying to communicate usually as quickly as possible while horrendous mobs approach us with the intent of pulverizing us. I'm not overly fond of dying multiple times.

I am bugged when it happens when people are writing literature or journalism. Just today, I am reading the second book of The Hythrun Chronicls (Treason Keep), and this author whom I revere for her stories wrote that something "reeked havoc" - that just about did me in. It is illogical of me, but I just lost a little respect for Jennifer Fallon. For those who are in doubt, it's "wreaked havoc." "Reek" means to have a strong odor. I have also seen people misuse it as "wrecked havoc."

Here inside FantasyFic, I am less bothered by it than one might think. It's because I know every writer here is trying to improve their writing and they really work at it. I am a firm believer in working on writing style/plot/characters first and then improve the grammar/typos/etc. I also have more patience with new writers than with the more experienced writers :P

I have two big hurdles to jump with my own writing - I OFTEN write teh for "the." I know better but I am typing so fast that it just comes out that way. Fortunately, spell check will catch it.

The second one is using too many parentheses (*winks at Kally*) or ellipses (...). I try to catch it in rewrite, but I don't always do that. :P

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:18 pm 
Goddess

Maybe the havoc was really stinky? LOL And I kind of figured you were being tongue-in-cheek but I need to stay sharp with that one. Not so long ago, I used to make the its/it's mistake *cough*

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:45 pm 
Regent

Anybody can make a mistake. It is the reason the word exists.

I do not, however, condone or willingly tolerate the person who refuses to learn how to write the most basic of conversation on the grounds that it is not important to know how to communicate. Those who state that as long as their gist can be made out, it does not matter how difficult the task of interpreting their conversation, make my hackles rise.

Simple error though, or issues with communication from one speaking in a second or sixth language, are most certainly allowable and the simple attempt to communicate by such a person is to be praised.

Last edited by Xerius on Sun May 02, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:55 pm 
Knight Commander

Hahahahahahahahah! Just noticed this post. That was great. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:57 pm 
Duke - Duchess

Kallysti wrote:
You (ok, we, 'cause I'm that way, too) are not alone! I unconsciously grind my teeth every time I see someone use "u" instead of "you." Among other things, lol.

Isn't that cute, though?

Wonderful post. I saw a tag line in World of Warcraft, said:

If you type U instead of You, I will say No instead of Yes because it is shorter.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:03 am 
Knight Captain

lol i c wut u did there..............

i dont know wut u hav against teh alot cuz he is a gud aminal

l8tr guise!!!!!!!

Okay, now that I did that, I'm going to go chop off all my fingers and scrub my brain out through the ears.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:24 am 
Goddess

Yeah, that's probably best before one of us does it for you...I mean, u ;) (even that made me feel dirty...)