FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Never Use Two Spaces After a Period
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 am 
Goddess

Quote:
Can I let you in on a secret? Typing two spaces after a period is totally, completely, utterly, and inarguably wrong.

Here's why.

I was one of those who double spaced for a long time. My typing teacher taught us that back in 8th grade :P I realize now that it was probably due to the monospace type thing they talk about in the article.

Interesting, eh?

Post subject: Re: Never Use Two Spaces After a Period
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:52 am 
The Scribe of Athero

Interesting that you should find that and post it. A couple of days ago there was this post about the correct number of spaces after a period. That was astonishing enough to me, who had always done two spaces until the internet came along. Even now I space two without thinking. My fingers countercommand my brain. I will just continue to do two spaces and then do find and replace back to one space. It's easier.

What amazed me about this post was the vitriol in some of the comments (for both sides of the question). I know I am usually fervent about punctuation, but not to the point of hating someone for their point of view. Take a look at them. They are eye-openers (and somewhere in there is my capitulation).

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:07 am 
Goddess

Haha, yeah. As a friend of mine likes to say "Comments sections are ***hole magnets."

Places like that, where any Joe Schmoe can comment, I tend to avoid reading (not the articles, necessarily, but I avoid the comment sections like the plague. Although news sites are the worst ;))

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 pm 
Regent

As I have been automatically two spacing my sentences for the last thirty five years, I see little hope I will change, or at least not change easily.

I can agree with a few of the comments in that article though. I find single spaced sentences tend to appear to run into each other. It weakens the purpose of the period to make a sentence appear to be a part of the next sentence over.

In addition, I am told of late that the texting abbreviations are becoming allowable, at least on University exams, and I do not hold those to be acceptable either. I will not say double spacing sentences is wrong, since it obviously has become acceptable, but it looks untidy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:53 am 
Knight Commander

I was taught to double-space in typing class 30 years ago, and it has stuck with me ever since. I actually had to sit here and stop after hitting the period, and remind myself NOT to use two spaces after it.

It probably didn't help that one of my bosses refused to send clients a copy of a letter. If we had to send the same letter to all their clients, the boss wanted each one on the actual business letterhead, and each one hand-signed. They did that with the paychecks for the independent contractor drivers too...all 400+ of them every week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:19 am 
The Scribe of Athero

Hopefully you had a merge program to do that. I can't imagine typing out 400 letters individually every week.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:28 pm 
Knight Commander

Raya wrote:
Hopefully you had a merge program to do that. I can't imagine typing out 400 letters individually every week.

The typewriter I used had the ability to save a document once you typed it, so on that we only had to type it once, but still feed the paper into the typewriter for each individual letter. When that was done, it was probably only 50 letters.

The paychecks, however.....what a nightmare. All the offices in six different cities would send their paperwork in every few days. Each route had a tested run time, and we had to compare that to what the drivers recorded (to see if they were padding their sheets to get more money), then run an adding machine tape for each one. We then had to add each driver's routes up (most did more than one route a day), and then type each route with the dollar amount on the "stub" part of the check. All checks were done on the typewriter, then signed by both owners. It was a very time-consuming and stressful job.

It took about four years before they finally broke down and computerized the routing system, and also got one of those neat signature plates so they didn't have to sign every check. And guess who got stuck inputting all the route stop information into the computer because she was the fastest typist in the building?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:23 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Heh heh - who says that excellence pays off? :|

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:21 pm 
Regent

My mom uses two spaces after periods all the time. It drives me crazy, especially when she does it correcting me :P

I'll have to show her this.