FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Little lessons in an icon
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:27 am 
Goddess

LOL, I found this via one of my LJ communities & I do use it on another board. Seemed apropos here.

Might even help some folks! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:23 am 
Regent

*laughs*

You hit quite a number of my pet peeves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 am 
Goddess

Oh, it hits quite a number of mine, which is why I saved it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

*raises hand* mine too - I have noticed this one for quite a while - it has also helped my speed reading considerably :P

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:00 pm 
Goddess

LOL, yeah, you're on the board where I use it, Raya.

Here at work, we bundle up numbered documents in roughly 500 page increments. On top of each bundle we use cover pages for reference...they say "Page ___ thru Page ___" My boss made them...I've teased him about the "thru" on a few occasions, lol, but honestly they do bother me, just a little :P I ought to make new ones but we have so many pre-made. Maybe when we run out...

And I don't care how long I've been playing MMOs, the misuse of "your" vs. "you're" will always make me twitch. Or those folks in EQ who would say "65 rouge lfg"... I had a friend who'd respond, "I didn't know there was a class for ladies' face paint."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:01 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

too, to, two

And honestly, in the wonderful book I am reading, I saw - it would make due for the time being. Argggghhhh

apparantly or aparantly or aparently (i've seen all three)

apreciate

alot

controversal

I seen

The things I have seen are whirling through my head so fast I can't catch them. They have nearly done me in over the many years that I have been a writer and an editor. When I was senior editor at Warcry for the main hub, I cried sometimes when the young writers submitted their pieces. They were fraught with errors, typos, grammar and punctuational faux pas, and limping, tired language.

These kids knew their games all right, but they had no clue about English. That's when I came up with Raya's Dungeon, to try and help them at least have a fighting chance. Actually I came up with RD in the job previous to that, senior editor at Gamergod. But there and at Warcry (and later gigs), if the article wasn't up to snuff, I had to revise it and often had to rewrite the whole thing.

Don't even get me started on punctuation and especially the lowly comma. Most people, even seasoned writers, don't have much idea of what to do with the comma and where to put it. There are times I'd like to tell them, too :P Anyhow, all I can do is try to be a light in the window and hope that the young'uns will find their way home.

/rant off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:12 pm 
Regent

I spend a third of my time in EQ with General Chat shut off to avoid seeing the atrocities of language too common to the medium, and more so, to avoid seeing what I label 'dudspeak' where words are replaced with letters and numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:22 am 
Knight Commander

I turned off trade chat in World of Warcraft over a month ago because the majority of the gaming population on my server uses "leet" or "dude" speak, and it just drives me nuts.

Dave and I made a joke the other day that global warming was the collective sighing of English teachers around the world reading some of the things that are all over the internet now.

I seriously fear for English as a language. The decision by NBC to change the name of the Sci-Fi channel to "SyFy" was another nail in the coffin.

There was a long-standing tradition in EQ about rouge/rogue. If you were a rogue and misspelled it, you were mocked for days by your fellow backstabbers. In WoW, if someone asks for a "rouge" to open a lockbox, my standard reply is "sorry, makeup cannot open lockboxes".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:34 pm 
Knight

"Thru" started with the COBOL programming language. Back then, each line had to fit on an 80 column punched card. However, not all 80 characters were available (I won't go into the details). Thus, every character counted. COBOL had a "through" function, something like this:

if X has a value of 5 through 10

(purists don't wince, it's been decades since I programmed COBOL, don't remember the exact syntax).

"Through" has 7 characters, so COBOL has a reserved word "thru" which does the same thing, and saves 3 precious characters. Slowly, thru percolated thru the language (oops, /slap hehe). It's still not a real word though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:22 am 
Knight Commander

One guy on the WoW forums has a signature that I just love.

"If you say pls, I'll say no because it is shorter than yes."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:15 am 
The Scribe of Athero

lol Raienya

EQPlayer - interesting story. I know a lot of the short forms are because of space saving requirements, but you can take it too far. I am a journalist and thus work for newspapers. It just kills me to have CANADIAN newspapers use AMERICAN forms of spelling because they use less letters (eg: color instead of colour).

The newspaper I work for uses the en dash instead of the em dash (longer one) because it saves one space. Of course nearly everything now has only one space after a period instead of the previous, time-honored two. It goes on and on. It's apace with the "need for speed" that the last two generations have developed...perhaps more efficient and briefer, but certainly less gracious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:53 am 
Duke - Duchess

Raya wrote:
Of course nearly everything now has only one space after a period instead of the previous, time-honored two.

This is because of the change in APA formatting rules for academic writing, Raya. When I first came back into University to get another degree, I would always put two spaces after the period. This got me docked so many points on papers that I HAD to reprogram my brain for only one space after periods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:28 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

What's APA? That's interesting, but I thought the one-space- after-periods came because of space requirements in faxes and emails. And then it was adopted by other agencies, such as newspapers and apparently academic facilities.

Oh well, the dirty deed is done and we all put one space after periods now. My editor at the newspaper didn't know that there had been a time when there were two spaces after periods. Darn kids! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:49 pm 
Duke - Duchess

APA is Academic Paper Association, or something like that, dont have my book in front of me. But, they set the rules on academic papers and how to do references in them, and so forth. Every paper I have had to turn in has to be done in APA style