FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: High Towers (Marco pay special attention :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:31 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

High Towers by Thomas B. Costain is not a fantasy book, but it is an amazing historical novel that is absorbing and compelling to read. Despite the fact that it was written in 1949, I never got around to reading this classic (and well-deserved too) until a few days ago. I was out of "good" books and curious about how they wrote in those days. So I picked up this book that I got on a whim at a garage sale.

Before I get into the writing of it though, I should explain why it might be of great interest to Marco. We were discussing the other day about the Canadian influence in Louisiana and the Cajuns, but what I didn't realize was that New Orleans was originally carved out of the wilderness by Canadians, members of the famous Le Moyne family, many of whom originated in and were responsible for the creation of Montreal.

Now back to this amazing book. Pierre Le Moyne, Sieur d'Iberville, one of the ten Le Moyne brothers and the French hero of Hudson Bay, originally found the passage from the Gulf of New Mexico (? - not sure of the large body of water, since I don't think they ever specifically refer to it) down a seatide river and into the mighty Mississippi, also thereby founding the spot that one day would see the creation of New Orleans. His younger brother, Jean-Baptiste, Sieur de Bienville, spent more than 20 years of his life creating the city of New Orleans for the glory of France and his king. The overall history, plus the details of the times (like the superstition that the first one to bed on the honeymoon will be the first one to die in the marriage, or the laws governing marriage in 17th Century Franch and the French colonies), are exquisite and fascinating.

Now, High Towers is the novel form of this entire episode in history, from the beginnings in Montreal to the establishment of New Orleans. The story itself is absolutely riveting, including romance, deceit, treachery, an Indian raid, pioneer life, lost loves, and so on. And the style...well, it is easy to see why Costain is one of the top writers of our times - and what a writer this man is!!

It should be easy to locate in your library, since it is an old book but still a classic. I have to say I am inspired in my own writing by seeing the mastery of this man in action.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject: Re: High Towers (Marco pay special attention :)
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:14 pm 
Duke - Duchess

I had heard of the Le Moyne family (Who form Louisianna has not?) but was unsure of thier history or thier impact on our great state. I will definitely be checking this one out :)