FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Robin Hobb (aka Megan Lindholm)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:32 pm 
Goddess

Author of the Farseer Trilogy & the sequel trilogy, The Tawny Man. Also, author of what I think of as the "companion" trilogy, The Liveship Traders as it takes place in the same world but a different part.

The Farseer & Tawny Man books are without a doubt, one of my very favorite series of all time. If for no other reason than my love of the characters and their interaction. Without giving too much away, for those that haven't read them, what I love most is her interplay between Fitzchivalry Farseer and the Fool. They are a joy to read. It's a dark series, especially the first set, which is probably one reason I love it so much.

The 3rd series listed there, the Liveship books, aren't bad either. I'm wracking my brain as to why I don't like them as much. I think it really has to do with not liking those characters as much. That matters a lot to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:08 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

I'll have to keep an eye out for these books. I am really in the mood to fall in love with another author. J.K. Rowling has got my love-to-read juices boiling again lol

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:05 am 
The Scribe of Athero

Two Christmases ago, Wert bought a Robin Hobbs trilogy for me to read - just picked them at random, figuring he couldn't go wrong with an epic fantasy series. I noted the three books, but it didn't really register, even at a later date, that they were one of the series you (Kally) had mentioned as being wonderful (i.e., The Tawny Man series).

Then, horror of horrors, I ran out of bathroom material, i.e., books that are so consuming that I find excuses to go to the head for reading pleasures (since that seems to be the only place in my action-filled life that I can sit, relax, and read). So I picked up Fool's Errand, the first book in the trilogy. I am hooked. Then I remembered that you had recommended them. So now I have my first treasured set of Robin Hobbs books. It won't be the last, I assure you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:53 am 
Goddess

They're pretty stand-alone but The Tawny Man trilogy (which begins with Fool's Errand, is probably my favorite) does come after the Farseer trilogy (the ones with Assassin in the title). It's not necessary to read in that order, it's just helpful :)

She's still one of, if not my all-time, favorite fantasy author.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 pm 
Regent

The Assassin books were well written, but I found them a bit painful to read, since it was tragedy piled on tragedy and the main character just seemed to get more and more damaged as the books went on.

It just seemed difficult to read books where the main character had to constantly make such sacrifices for so little thanks. I have bought all Robin Hobb's books and have read the Liveship Trilogy, but so far have not managed to bring myself to read the Tawny Man books, or the new series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:28 am 
Duke - Duchess

I have not read these books, but will have to check them out. If they are recommended by both Kally AND Raya, I know they will blow my socks off!

By the way, for those of you searching for that hard to find / IMPOSSIBLE to find book, may I suggest

http://www.harvestbooks.com

I have yet to find a title that I could not find on there. They are awesome :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:37 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Welp, I finished The Tawny Man trilogy - couldn't actually put the books down. Here is what Kally said at the beginning of this thread:

Quote:
The Farseer & Tawny Man books are without a doubt, one of my very favorite series of all time. If for no other reason than my love of the characters and their interaction. Without giving too much away, for those that haven't read them, what I love most is her interplay between Fitzchivalry Farseer and the Fool. They are a joy to read. It's a dark series, especially the first set, which is probably one reason I love it so much.

I just loved the characters and am still thinking about them and I finished the last book two days ago. The torture done to the Fool just about did me in, but by this time I was so immersed in the story I couldn't have put the book down if you paid me, not even if they flayed the skin off his back while he was still alive. Oh, wait... :(

Anyhow, absolutely fantastic writing and brings home to me again the importance of great characters who carry out the story in an exciting and compelling way. Another goal to strive for. She rocks. I don't know if I could bear to read the Farseer Trilogy now - I know the story ending and I couldn't take much more darkness I don't think. If the Liveship series is not so dark, I might try to get that though.

Anyhow *sigh* I'm sorry the series is over. I miss Fitz and Molly and Nighteyes - and Dutiful and Kettricken and Nettle. *sigh*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:41 pm 
Goddess

Aye, the Liveship series is not as bad though there are still some cringingly painful parts. Some of the stuff with Paragon, the "mad ship" in the 2nd book's title, might be hard for you to read. It's been a while since I read it, there's probably other stuff, too. I just remember it being less dark all together. ;)

Post subject: Re: Robin Hobb (aka Megan Lindholm)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:07 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Well, I haven't told you all about the absolutely wonderful windfall I found at my public library...no, not borrowed books either. Every year our library has a book sale to get rid of all the older books. They also request that patrons donate books as well. Well, someone who is obviously not a fantasy fan donated a bunch of books that I suspect belonged to a son or daughter who is now away at college. Just a hunch.

But...guess what the books were??!! Three complete trilogies that I had not read, by Robin Hobb. They include the Farseer trilogy, the Liveship trilogy (which I am halfway through and quite enjoying, although I agree they are not quite as compelling as the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies).

I still have left her Soldier's Son series. Can you imagine finding nine such books at an obscure prairie library sale? It's like finding a pirate treasure in your grocery store!

Post subject: Re: Robin Hobb (aka Megan Lindholm)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:07 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Well, I haven't told you all about the absolutely wonderful windfall I found at my public library...no, not borrowed books either. Every year our library has a book sale to get rid of all the older books. They also request that patrons donate books as well. Well, someone who is obviously not a fantasy fan donated a bunch of books that I suspect belonged to a son or daughter who is now away at college. Just a hunch.

But...guess what the books were??!! Three complete trilogies that I had not read, by Robin Hobb. They include the Farseer trilogy, the Liveship trilogy (which I am halfway through and quite enjoying, although I agree they are not quite as compelling as the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies).

I still have left her Soldier's Son series. Can you imagine finding nine such books at an obscure prairie library sale? It's like finding a pirate treasure in your grocery store!