FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Well, I consider it fantasy anyway...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:59 pm 
Baron - Baroness

I just finished reading Anansi Boys, Neil Gaiman's follow up to American Gods and they are both really really great books.

They aren't traditional fantasy stories in the sense that there are elves and such, but there is plenty of magic in them. American Gods is a considerably darker book than Anansi Boys but it is the book that "comes first" even though the two books are only marginally connected to each other through the world and one character in particular.

American Gods is about a man named Shadow that comes to work for a man named Wednesday, who claims to be a God. The old Gods that were brought to America when it was first colonized (even a few older than that!) are about to go to war with the new Gods of technology and media. It's a really great read, though it's much more, adult would be the right word I guess, than Anansi Boys.

Wow, this is long lol, sorry :)

Anansi Boys is about Fat Charlie Nancy, a man that lives in England now but was born in the States. His father dies and after the funeral he learns that his father was a God. Fat Charlie's well ordered life pretty much starts to fall to pieces when he talks to a spider and his long lost brother shows up.

Fun stuff if you're looking to get away from the traditional fantasy setting. They take place in present day. Anansi Boys in particular is very funny, but both books can be very tense and even chilling when they want to be, which is something I hold in high regard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:07 am 
The Scribe of Athero

Wow, you guys, if you keep this up, with all these great-sounding books to read, I won't have time to write!

These two books sound wonderful, Wych. I must confess I have a secret yearning to write about gods, not sure why. Long before I started actually selling my writing, I did a huge amount of research into prehistoric Egypt, with a view to writing about Osiris, the God of the Dead. His story is an interesting one, full of intrigue, mass conversion, murder and mystery. I even speculated that he had originally come from Mesopotamia, whose civilization at the time was far advanced over the primitive Egyptians. Later I postulated that he might even have come from Atlantis.

Despite the difficulty in finding out information in pre-history (there's a reason it's called PRE-history), I amassed a wealth of information, mostly in the times just when Egyptian history was starting. Scholars had also done a lot of extrapolation, and I had books and books of research. After looking at it all, writing my plot outline, and getting ready to write about this fascinating god, I realized that I didn't have the writing skills yet to write this massively in-depth epic.

That set my goal for the next couple of decades. When I finally decided I probably had acquired the necessary skills, the urge to write that particular story had faded. However, my fascination with gods remains. Thanks for the info.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:08 pm 
Goddess

I just started Anansi Boys, I'm through the first chapter. And I gotta say: I shouldn't have laughed that hard at a death scene. I love you, Neil Gaiman.

I'll let you know how it goes, Wych. I finished Stardust right before. I haven't read American Gods but my mother is sending me her copy of Neverwhere. I'll put it at the bottom of the "to read" stack. Should we just make this a Neil Gaiman thread? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

I bought Anansi Boys when I did my book signing at Yorkton's Coles in April. Finished it a while back. I did enjoy it and it was way different than most fantasies I ever read. The "god" part was dubious...I mean, I believe he was a god, but he sure wasn't your run-of-the-mill deity. And yeah, it was chilling in parts. Extremely well written.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:49 pm 
Baron - Baroness

Give American Gods a read Raya. Anansi Boys is the sequel (but only in that it takes place after, you don't have to read them one after the other), American Gods though does set up the whole Gods thing, it'll all make much more sense.