FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What are you reading this week?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:34 pm 
Goddess

Helen Exley wrote:
Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life."

September 25th through October 2nd is Banned Books Week. In its honor (and because it is awesome), I'm (re)reading #69 on this list. John's reading #21 (for the first time, at my suggestion ;)). I'm surprised...or maybe I shouldn't be...at how many on that list (and on the 1990-1999 one) I've read throughout my life. I mean, look! Judy Blume, John Steinbeck, Toni Morrison, Kurt Vonnegut, Madeline L’Engle and so, so many more authors & their stories that I have loved for a very long time.

(EDIT: And btw, those 100 are certainly not the entire list. I mean, there were 4,312 books challenged from 2001 to 2009 alone)

Celebrate your right to read this week. And every week!

So...what are you reading?

Post subject: Re: What are you reading this week?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:41 pm 
Regent

Seems I have only read nine of the books on that list. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

At present I am reading The Destiny of the Sword, by David Duncan, and Lord of the Fading Lands, by C.L. Wilson, having finally finished Vanished, by Kat Richardson yesterday (as well as three Heinlein, an E.E. Smith, an Alan Dean Foster, a Diane Duane and a Tanya Huff book in the last week).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:21 am 
The Scribe of Athero

I've read four of the top ten books. My biggest outrage is that the Oz books were banned in Canada - for what nincompoop reason was this done????

I am currently reading Jennifer Fallon's The Immortal Prince, and I have one of Charles De Lint's books on tap when I am finished.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:34 am 
Goddess

I have The Immortal Prince sitting on my nightstand, Raya. I've been hesitant to read it because I'm not sure the entire series is out yet & if I know anything about Ms. Fallon's work (and I hope I do, I've read all the rest), then I'm going to be going crazy for the next ones... ;)

And even James & the Giant Peach was on a challenged book list. Something to do with him being "too disobedient" or some idiocy. It just goes to show that there is nothing in this world that somebody will not be offended by :(

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:24 pm 
Duke - Duchess

Wow, I have read over half that list :) Guess I just like the controversial stuff :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:15 pm 
Regent

Well, it's not fantasy per se, but I have started re-reading Jean Auel's Clan of the Cave Bear series again, in anticipation of her next book coming out in March 2011.
FINALLY!!

Those books are so dog-eared, it's scary. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:25 am 
Regent

Lenore: I read those book years ago. I love the original, though the rest of the series seemed to just be milking it. The first one was quite good, though. I loved Creb!

I'm currently reading a really good book called Tigana, by Guy Gavriel Kay. His name sounds like a character I would make up :P
It's very long, so I'm still really at the beginning, but it's already very interesting. The plot is intricately woven, the world and conflict are very well developed, and the characters are very human, even the bad guys. And we all know how much I love the sympathetic villains.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:29 pm 
Regent

I was debating rereading Tigana, as I have not read it in several years. I remember enjoying it, although I could not tell you what the plot was anymore.

I am currently reading The Cracked Throne, by Joshua Palmatier, the second book in a series that started with The Skewed Throne. Apparently the third one has come out, but I seem to have missed it, so guess I will be checking the used bookstores on the weekend. It is a good series and an unusual premise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:51 pm 
Regent

Xer, you're the first person I've talked to who has ever heard of it. I just finished it this morning, and it's haunting me. It's so good. It make me cry...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:42 am 
Goddess

Hm, I'm dead broke right now (long story) so I guess I'll be putting Tigana and The Skewed Throne (I LOVE stories with an unusual premise) on my Christmas list this year :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:12 pm 
Duke - Duchess

Actually, my christmas wish came true a bit early. My lovely wife ordered me a Kindle for christmas :) She went ahead and gave it to me, so now I have a nice portable way to carry over 3500 of my favorite books, fantasy or otherwise, with me where ever I may go :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:19 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

This is a little off topic, but could you give me a review of Kindle, Marco - what you like and don't like about it. I am at some point going to look into making the anthology available in book reader form.

P.S. That was nice of your wife. Merry Christmas :)

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:40 pm 
Goddess

I am also interested in a review as I am hoping to receive one myself this holiday season...

As for what I'm reading this week: nothing. I finished the latest Gotrek & Felix "omnibus" book & am waiting on my dear fella to finish the next one so I can have it :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:42 pm 
Regent

Xerius wrote:
I am currently reading The Cracked Throne, by Joshua Palmatier, the second book in a series that started with The Skewed Throne. Apparently the third one has come out, but I seem to have missed it, so guess I will be checking the used bookstores on the weekend. It is a good series and an unusual premise.

And the third book, The Vacant Throne, showed up at my usual bookstore last week (they are great for ordering books), so once I finish Henderson's Brooklyn Knight and Sownum's The Drowning City, I can finally see the end of that series.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:37 am 
Duke - Duchess

Raya wrote:
This is a little off topic, but could you give me a review of Kindle, Marco - what you like and don't like about it. I am at some point going to look into making the anthology available in book reader form.

P.S. That was nice of your wife. Merry Christmas :)

Ok, first let me say that the kindle may just be the best thing to happen to readers (and authors) in forever.

The like list is many. It holds over 3500 books, all delivered wirelessly. Although you do have to have wi-fi for this to work. The newer ones come with built in 3G technology, so this is no longer an issue. The list of e-books is tremendous! I can spend hours browsing the kindle store either on my Kindle itself, or on my PC. There are literally THOUSANDS of free books, everything from the classics (Dracula and Frankenstein) to new authors offering thier product for free to garner recognition.

My dislikes: there is only 1. The Kindle is not back lit, so you do have to have a light source to enjoy reading on the Kindle. That is really the only drawback to this item that I have found!