FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Doc Sidhe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:26 pm 
Regent

I waffle on posting this series, since it is not strictly fantasy, but since it is not strictly several other things either and is a fun read, it has become worthy of mention.

The series consists of two books by Aaron Allston, Doc Sidhe, and Sidhe-Devil. The series borrows from Fantasy, Science Fiction, and the Pulps of the 1930's rather freely and makes a fairly unique mix, although to try to describe it makes it sound a bit cliche.

Essentially, the books are about two worlds, the world we know and love, and a world very similar to ours, but where magic runs free, and as a result, technology is deterred a bit or enhanced by the use of magic. The people of the other world are aware of us as folk tales and call us people of the Grim World, while they call their own place the Fair World. There was apparently some contact between the worlds over the years, which made for some interesting tales on both sides.

The first book introduces a professional fighter from the Grim World who follows his kidnapped fiancee into the Fair World, where he meets the legendary (more or less) Doc Sidhe. Doc Sidhe borrows heavily from the Pulps, living in a New York (New Amsterdam or Neckerdam in the Fair World) skyscraper with his associates, although as it develops, Doc Sidhe is not human himself.

It seems the Fair World runs a bit behind the Grim World in timeline, and the world the fighter finds himself in is a good one, having just recovered from a war in Europe and a drought coupled with financial instability. Harris (the fighter) is working with Doc Sidhe to find out why his fiancee was taken, and has the added burden of sixty years of future history to deal with, uncertain as to how much he should or could safely say.

The Pulps continue to be recognized, as car chases are routine, they hop on airplanes, zepplins, and run off to far corners of the earth at need and the writing is enjoyable.

The first book primarily takes place in Nekerdam, while the second book delves into events in Europe. Another Grim World man (Harris' best friend) has come to the Fair World, and with him the group travels to central Europe, where a series of athletic competitions are taking place in a country led by a man with a platform of racial purity. Events in Nekerdam at the beginning of the book link to this country and this man, and the group watches the unfolding of the games while trying to deal with all the politics of the world they find themselves in, while the car chases, train voyages (it would be boring to ride in the train, so just jump on top of a car and go), and a trip into the ground keep them occupied until the rather unexpected ending.

All in all, a very satisfying series to read.

Post subject: Re: Doc Sidhe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:35 pm 
Goddess

Xerius wrote:
...although as it develops, Doc Sidhe is not human himself.

I would hope not, considering what "sidhe" means ;)

Sounds like Mr. Allston's taken a fairly common trope (the two intertwined worlds: for instance, Pullman's The Subtle Knife or Stephen King's The Talisman) and really turned it on its ear. I LOVE that kind of thing. I even love the book and character names. Sign me up!

EDIT: Would this be in the bookstore under Young Adult or regular Sci-Fi/Fantasy? I already sent my mother's Christmas present but I may send another, lol. This sounds right up her alley (as well as mine).

Post subject: Re: Doc Sidhe
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:28 pm 
Regent

I found it in the regular Fantasy section and the book has a couple of marginally risque parts (nothing graphic), so I doubt it would be welcome in the youth book area.

Doc Sidhe - Aaron Allston, C 1995, ISBN 0-671-87662-7

Sidhe-Devil - Aaron Allston, C 2001, ISBN 0-671-31993-0

As you might note, used bookstores may be your best bet