FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lion of Senet
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 am 
Goddess

The Christmas before last, a friend gave me this book plus the other two in the trilogy (the whole thing is called Second Sons). I'd never heard the name Jennifer Fallon before and I just nodded and put it aside.

One rainy day, I was looking for another book to read and I remembered these. So I picked up the first one... and couldn't put it down.

Once again, beautiful and compelling, richly created characters. Not to mention, a very interesting story. In a way, it's a tale of science vs. religion, but it's also much more than that.

Without giving too much away... it's about a stunningly brilliant young man, Dirk. The second son of a backwater duke, who is studying to be a physician. An injured man from a shipwreck washes up on shore... and nothing is the same.

Dirk's an interesting character... smart & cold in some instances, warm & compassionate in others. But always, secretive. With plot twists I never saw coming, not to mention one antagonist that I've loathed more than just about any other character in any other story, Ms. Fallon's Second Sons trilogy is an incredibly absorbing read.

Highly recommended (though, I suppose, what would I put in this forum that I didn't? :D)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:48 am 
The Scribe of Athero

Oh, wow, this sounds fascinating - fantasy amid an historical fiction type background. There are so many possibilities now. When will I get time to read (I am almost finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows :) )? I LOVE reading a book that I can't put down. My only problem with that is that I dread for them to end because I am so involved in their universe. It's almost, in a small way, like my own life coming to an end.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:44 pm 
Goddess

*bump* LOL

I'm rereading these. Caittune asked me to recommend a series for her & I said this one. So now, I'm reading it because she is ;)

It's as good (or better) than I remembered! Absolutely a beautifully crafted story, with twists & turns & emotional turmoil in every direction. I want to hug Dirk & Alenor & Tia, strangle (or worse) Belagren & Marquel & Antonov (and there are others I don't know what to do with, hehe)... I mean, seriously.

Have you ever read a book like that? Of course you have! You want to crawl inside it & never leave... you want to go & be involved somehow. Does that make sense? You're frustrated that you can't just go in there & tell or do something to someone(s), lol.

I STILL could not recommend these more ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:55 pm 
Duke - Duchess

Wow. Kally's gushing even more on the second read-through? I should definitely look for these at the library. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:14 pm 
Goddess

I've found it hit & miss as to where I see her books (she's an Australian author, if that makes a difference to where you find 'em).

There's another series of hers, The Hythrun Chronicles (starts with Medalon), which is pretty good... her ideas about the gods in that one, especially, are fun & creative but Second Sons is by FAR the better all-around story imo :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:01 pm 
Duke - Duchess

Okay, thanks for the tip. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:18 pm 
Peasant

They are great!! I haven't read many new authors recently since I have limited reading time what with having a toddler on the go all the time. These have me thinking about the characters and wanting to talk about them even when I'm not reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:51 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Gahhhh, I want more time!! I want to read this book. I swear I will - keep bumping it, Kally. One day I will get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:33 am 
Goddess

Raya wrote:
...keep bumping it, Kally. One day I will get it.

*bump*

(yeah, I was bored today & rereading all the book recommendation threads, lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:54 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Thanks for bumping it, Kally. I have written it down this time and will get it next time I go to the library (or more likely, just order it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:14 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Ahhhhh, I finished Lion of Senet. An amazing book! I loved it. And by another Australian author. Those Aussies rock at this sort of writing, don't they?

It was one of those books where you're sorry the book is ended but delighted that there are still two more books to go in that particular series. With any luck, book 2 will be at the library waiting for my avaricious little eyes.

So glad you recommended it to me, Kally. It's my kind of fantasy adventure, even if it does get a little gruesome here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:39 pm 
Goddess

Oh, they get better :D I'm glad you're liking it! And yeah, there's a place or two not for the squeamish, lol. I don't remember which book some of the stuff happens in, so I won't guess what you're referring to but I think I know.

Post subject: Re: Lion of Senet
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 am 
The Scribe of Athero

I finished the Second Sons trilogy last week with the reading of The Lord of the Shadows. This is just an absolutely outstanding, wonderful, exciting, hard-to-put-down series. I love books that you just want to gobble up as fast as possible. The fact that I had to order the books in through my local library and there was a waiting period for each book forced me to slow down some and digest each book before going on to the next.

The characters in this were so well drawn, so vivid, alive, and memorable, that I felt like some of them were members of my own family and almost as dear; others became my own enemies that I loathed with impartial vitriol.

Honestly, this series was even better than The Naming, The Name of the Wind, and The Tawny Man series. And I LOVED those.

If you like epic fantasy, you will love these books (The Lion of Senet, Eye of the Labyrinth, Lord of the Shadows - all by Jennifer Fallon - another Aussie btw).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:08 am 
Goddess

*hugs* I do so love her characters & I think Dirk is my very favorite (I love, love, LOVE complex characters like him). She has three completed trilogies that I've read, though this series is my favorite of hers thus far :) The other two were much more predictable (The Hythrun Chronicles and Demon Child) but still worth reading imo. The way she writes the deities of that world is very creative...at least, the technique she uses is not something I've seen much of in my limited experience ;)

And I did just buy the first book in her latest series (Tide Lords)...we'll see how that goes, hehe.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:36 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

I have ordered the first book in one of Jennifer Fallon's other trilogies, but I'm not sure which one -- not the Chronicles one, since my experience with almost anything with "chronicle" in the title has been either boring or at least not my cup of tea, and fairly often a departure from the writer's usual style. Don't ask me why. I may have ordered from Tide Lords or Demon Child - we'll have to wait and see until I get it.

And yeah, I love Dirk too - although I was fascinated with all of the characters. Eryk was especially well portrayed as a child with Down's Syndrome (I think that was what she was describing) but no cliches. You gotta love a writer who so artfully avoids cliches. Ah, I could go on and on about the excellence of this trilogy. It is such a hard act to follow that I hope I am not disappointed in the next one.