FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Books you always intended to read
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:43 pm 
Regent

It seems to me there are always books I intend to pick up, or a series that I have been telling myself for years I need to read, but decades later, I still have them sitting at the back of my mind for later reading when I happen to remember to look for them.

I found Roger Zelazny's Chronicles of Amber series in one book a couple of weeks ago. I first heard of the series in 1979 (or at least the part of the series that had been published at that point) and it sounded quite unique, but for various reasons (some of the earlier books were out of print, there were several books in the series and I hated to start collecting a long series as a broke student, etc) I never bought them. I ran across one book or another in used bookstores over the years, and always intended to find out the names of all the books so I could piece together a collection, but it never seemed to happen.

I am working through the various books fairly slowly the last few weeks, as I have just finished a contract of twenty one 16 hour days in the last thirty days, which left limited time for reading, but the books have been enjoyable. I suspect I would have liked them better thirty years ago, when somewhat strange books were more my forte, but the writing is good, the storyline is interesting, and I could ask for little more.

This forum has been a bit quiet of late, so a question to the denizens of the place. Have any of you had books or series you have been intending to pick up, but it never seems to happen?

Post subject: Re: Books you always intended to read
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:08 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

I've heard of Zelazny's writing for years and always meant to pick up something of his and never got around to it. I wonder why his reputation generates such lukewarm enthusiasm. Is it the marketing of his books? Anyhow, that is the first one who comes to mind. Strange, isn't it, Xerius?

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine