FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Artemis Fowl
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:40 pm 
King - Queen

For the past few weeks I've been pretty well hit and miss on things that caught my interest. Since I've had some days off where I can actually read a single book in one sitting I picked up the first Percy Jackson and the Olympians story titled The Lightning Thief. For me I found it easy to predict what was going to happen, but there were some surprises. Eventually I picked up the rest of the series and read them all in about 3 days times. Although the age range wasn't what I was use to reading it was still a decent series.

Now I've picked up Artemis Fowl and I'm going to be going through the rest of that series the same way. Again I'm finding it predictable but then again that's a problem I've had for years when it came to movies. I do find it funny though to read about a evil genius of a 12 year old matching wits with the little people of Ireland.

It wasn't hard to find some parallels between what I've done with Jack Nomad these two series. Percy Jackson dealt with demigods, half human beings, and the Greek gods themselves constantly while being hunted down himself several times by regular human authorities because of the incidents that he'd been in or caused. Artemis Fowl deals with the fairy folk while holding a fairy ransom for a ton of pure gold, and manages to not get exterminated by everything they throw at him.

They might be children books age wise but now I've seen whats been done, and I already know what I can do differently with my own unique twist. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:45 pm 
Goddess

My mother was a middle school teacher, now their librarian... and she reads a lot of YA books so she can talk with the kids about them more (she's found some really good ones, too... like The Naming & the Harry Potter books waaaay back when only a couple were out).

She suggested these Artemis Foul books to me, too, and I've been meaning to pick them up.

There really are no original ideas...all you can do is take your own idea and run with it, make it your own. I'm sure you can do that :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

I have heard that YA is the way to go with fantasy writing. I am not so sure, but I have had a LOT of people, including book chain marketers, who have advised me to label Witchcanery as a Young Adult book in order to sell it better.

Thing is, YA books have their own adult following. Look at Harry Potter, and it appears the books that Z and Kally are talking about.

Interesting. I will have to pick up one of these books and have a look.

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:07 am 
Duke - Duchess

I'm not sure I'll ever get past the kid's section at the library, unless I'm looking for books I know... simply because I've been unpleasantly surprised by content a few times, which has pretty much made me afraid to try anything unknown (even in the YA section! it's ridiculous.), which pretty much spoils the fun. But there really are some good books in the kid's section. I've enjoyed the Charlie Bone series, personally. *looks around guiltily*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:31 am 
King - Queen

I just finished the latest book of the Artemis Fowl series. I'd recommend it to anyone looking to read something different. I mean so far I've found some errors(like introducing a character in one book, then completely neglecting to mention that character in the following) but the good outweighs the errors I think.

So I've decided to try reading other books by Eoin Colfer. As far as I can tell Eoin prefers to write about smart kids, or rather ones that are far to smart for their own good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:52 pm 
King - Queen

So, last night I'd pretty well finished up everything on reading. Then I picked up the first Artemis Fowl book and started rereading it. Normally I never and I mean never reread anything from start to finish, but I'm already halfway through it again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:35 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

That's a pretty good promotion, Z. I might just have to pick it up and have a go at it. Let's see; my list so far is:

The Singing (last book in the Pellinore series - can't wait)
The Name of the Wind (recommended by Sare)
and now something whose name I can never remember...Percy something :P

I am gonna have to find more time to read than just when I sit on the throne.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:20 pm 
King - Queen

You mean Artemis Fowl right Raya? I'll admit the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series of books are decent, but the Artemis Fowl series is better.

I think the reason I like the Artemis books so much is probably related to the fact that Artemis Fowl is pretty much trouble no matter what angle he's working on a crime. Now I have some more reading to do, tonight's book is You are so Undead to me and hopefully it'll give me some insight into a character I intend to create for Jack Nomad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:02 am 
The Scribe of Athero

I got Artemis Fowl in from my library and am looking forward to reading it. Unfortunately, I got The Name of the Wind in first and am reading it first. Then I have the fourth book of the Pellinor series waiting for me (The Singing, I believe?). Such a richness of wonderful things to read!! Now to find the time to read them :? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:44 am 
The Scribe of Athero

I finally got to Artemis Fowl and am about two-thirds of the way through. It has its pros and cons. It is very easy to read and goes quickly, for which I am thankful, after reading The King of Elfland's Daughter. It also has some extremely memorable characters, including a whole new take on fairies--and dwarves especially (Mulch is hilarious)--not to mention Foaly, the techno-centaur. The whole concept and storyline are brilliant and brilliantly executed, with dialogue that is sometimes side-splittingly funny. I laughed out loud several times.

However, I personally did not find the characters very sympathetic, any of them. They did not grab me and hold me like the characters in some of my favorite books (eg: David Eddings' stories, Raymond Feist's, and so on). I admit it - I am a character-oriented person.

Still, I am glad I read this book and have enjoyed it quite a bit. The brilliance of the plot and dialogue go a long way to make up for the lack of character magnetism. That's actually the wrong word - but I can't think of the right one. There is plenty of magnetism, from Commander Root, the cigar-chewing LEPrecon CiC to Butler, the mountainous AdC to young Artemis Fowl. I just don't find myself rooting (if you'll pardon the expression) for any of them too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:19 pm 
King - Queen

The last third of the book is a bit different compared to the first part. There's going to be a little more action thats for sure. The rest of the series has a little more to it in the character department, so think of the first one as the warm up to the main event.

Post subject: Re: Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Artemis Fowl
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:15 am 
King - Queen

So out of either sheer boredom, or perhaps a bout of insanity I've spent the last couple weeks casually rereading the Artemis Fowl series again for the fourth and fifth time for some books. But this time not in any particular order. I've come to realize a few things, the flow from one characters thoughts to another in a scene is very well played out. Another is that each story stands on its own so much and has that added bit of backstory blended in that its not hard to understand what is taking place.

As for characters, I'd have to say Mulch is a personal favorite from book to book. He's like a crude digusting brother or uncle that you can't seem to hate no matter what he does. It's like having a kids version of John Belushi running around, or rather tunneling around causing mischief.

Perhaps the one I seem to connect with most is Artemis on intelligence(when I was younger with more brain cells). Often times I'd sit up countless hours roleplaying on AOL(yep, thats been well over 10 years ago) and when I'd quit for the day I'd systematically run through almost every path a particular line/plot could take. Some of that old magic still exists in me today, but its harder and harder to focus it into an actual hardened form.

Maybe I should go back to getting shocked on a regular basis to get the ol' brain firing again?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 am 
The Scribe of Athero

I think you're doing fine, Z. All that stuff you've poured (and keep on pouring) into your mind seems to be bearing fruit, so don't worry so much about it.

It also sounds like you had fun rereading your Artemis Fowl books. I feel the same way about the David Eddings books. If I need a lift or some inspiration, I hit those.

You also sound a LOT more relaxed than I have heard you since you joined FF. I'd say you're pretty much hitting on all cylinders...you don't need a jump start :P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:20 pm 
Regent

I was talked into going to see the movie Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief last Saturday and it seemed a bit obvious, but amused me.

Now I am tempted to find the series of books, although a quick look through my local used bookstore did not produce any.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:42 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Try the library, Xerius. If they don't have it, they will get it from another library. That's how I got the one I read.