FAQ Search Register Login

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Missing author
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:59 pm 
Regent

I am grasping at straws to some degree, but it is worth a shot.

I know somewhere within this mass of information on the forum is an author who was recommended, but as I cannot recall the name of the author, it is very difficult to run to my local bookstore to look for his books. It also makes it difficult to find the author's name within this forum, since I have only the name of one of his characters to go by.

So, should anyone have knowledge of a series of books written within the last decade (to the best of my recollection) with a main character named Paknasaran, it would ease my mind to not have to continue to try to remember, and I would be able to find the books without wandering through bookstore shelves reading the back of every book that looks likely.

The grain harvest I had been asked to help with has been delayed due to the late crop maturity, so I have the rest of this week off of work to kill time. I have writing that must be done, but it also seems a good time to catch up on a few of my 'to read' pile, and perhaps a good time to start an author that I know was recommended, if I could just find it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:31 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Sorry I can't help, Xerius. I tried googling the name Paknasaran, but it came up empty (unusual for Google). Hopefully someone else will have the answer.

Sorry to hear about the crop delay. The weather has been so beautiful the last week or so that it's perfect for harvesting. How long will the delay take, do you suppose?

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:25 pm 
Regent

I would expect to be back out there next week, although it is going to cause some havoc at work, as I took two weeks off, which does not include next week. They generally do accomodate me though in the fall, as I have been there a long time and am bad tempered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:39 pm 
Goddess

I, too, did Google initially (before there were any responses) and came up with nothing. Is there anything else you can remember at all? Maybe which of us recommended? If it's not in this forum it may be in the "tips & tricks" section, which is where I've seen some others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:03 pm 
Regent

Wish I could recall anything about it.

The only clues I presently have may even be off a bit. The series was spoken of favourably by someone on this forum within the last six months, the character name may not be completely accurate, since I ran across it a couple weeks ago in either EQ or Vanguard when a character with that name said he was a Paladin because the literary character was a Paladin, which reminded me I had been intending to look up the series, but could not find the time until this week.

Since the name was in an online game, it may have been changed slightly to get through the naming filter.

Unfortunately, a single character does not seem to do much. Guess I will run across it at some point in the future when I am not looking for it and all will be well. Until then, I will be irritated at my middle aged memory. Thirty years ago I would not forget such things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:31 pm 
Goddess

Here ya go sir:
DragonSnail wrote:
One set of books that will always loom large in my life is Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion trilogy. That is a great example of books picked up by cover alone but turned out to be a fantastic story that held me spellbound from the first page to the last. I read those books over and over during the years, until I was stupid enough to lend them to a working mate and never got them back. Bleh.

It was in your "Favorite authors" thread that you started when you first arrived :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:56 pm 
The Scribe of Athero

Yayy, Kally! :D

Don't let aging get you down. It's too hard to get back * up. ~Maxine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:22 pm 
Regent

I could come up with several choice words, but no longer having to try to recall the author's name will be pleasant enough, I will not bother.

I did read through that thread, but apparently not in sufficient detail.

Sounds like they are an old enough series, I may have to try one of the local used bookstores first though (there are only four left in the city; when I first moved here, there were nine).

Finding the name is certainly appreciated though. I ate up the evening getting my new computer monitor running, so tomorrow I can go book hunting.